R&D Department of SCCI, established in April 2018, aims to carryout research for establishing database of geographical and sectorial resources of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa including erstwhile Federally-Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). The database is essential for attracting most-sought-after investment through offering quantified data with business development plans. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa having 35 districts from snow-laden mountains of Chitral, Kohistan, green plains of Peshawar valley leading to sandy and marshy plains of Karak and D I Khan. Nature has bestowed Khyber Pakhtunkhwa with bounties of nature including minerals, gems, oil and gas, agricultural products and much more which can be exploited for the benefit and prosperity of its inhabitants.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has potential in diverse sectors of:
- Tourism/Hospitality: (6,000 Buddhist Sites, tourist operators, adventure tourism)
- Hydel: (micro/small hydel projects with 30,000 MW (50% of Pakistan’s production) potential/Solar/Wind energy)
- Oil and Gas: Natural Gas: 16 trillion cubic feet, 15% of Pakistan Total Output Oil: 1.10 Billion bbl, 50% of Pakistan Total Output
- LPG: 25% of Pakistan Total Output
- Mineral: 14 trillion ton/year of Marble, Limestone, Dolomite, Soapstone, Silica etc.
- Gemstones: 70 mn Carets of Emerald, Ruby, Beryl, Garnet, Aquamarine, Topaz Peridot, Serpentine, Hematite etc.
- Honey: (20 kinds)
- Agri-business: 7.5 mn tons/year, 1.7 m hectors cultivated maize, wheat, sugarcane, tobacco, tea, olive, veggies, dry fruits, medicinal plants etc.
- Horticulture: 250,000 ton/year of apricot, peach, pear, plum, apple, citrus etc.
- Livestock: 17.5 bn liters of milk, 28 million cattle, Buffalo, Sheep, Goat, Donkey, Horse etc.
Research & Development inter alia is maintaining close and active liaison with government departments and associations for analyzing problems confronted by business community through exploring and identification of underlying causes and recommending feasible solutions.
Besides, R&D Department drafts speeches for SCCI office-bearers on occasion of visits by diplomats and government authorities from time to time.
R&D Department also maintains close and active liaison with think-tanks such as SDPI, PRIME Institute, PREIA-USAID, LEAD Pakistan and others for holding seminars on important and significant topics pertaining to economic development of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Research & Development Department so far has carried out significant research on:
- Ease of Doing Business (EODB)
- Cumbersome Procedure of Load Enhancement and New Industrial Connection (PESCO)
- FBR and its Performance
- Pak-Afghan Bilateral Trade
- Afghanistan-Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement (APTTA)
- Hydel Potential of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Oil & Gas Potential of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Honey and Beekeeping Potential of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Agro-Livestock Potential of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Constitutional Economic Rights of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa